How to change my domain MX records to use Google Apps Mail
Each domain name hosted with us has two MX records by default, which point to our mail servers. They are usually mx1.supremebox.com and mx2.supremebox.com.
In case you have your own mail server or would like to use a third party mail server to handle your emails, you have to point the MX records of your domain to the external mail server MXes.
To do this, make sure you know what the required MX records are (this information should be provided by the third party mail server vendor).
Then go to the Site Management > Custom DNS Records section of your Web Hosting Control Panel and find your domain under the Hostname column. Replace mx1.supremebox.com with the first new MX record and click Change. Once the page reloads, find the domain again and repeat the procedure with the second MX record.
Please have in mind that the MX records update requires several hours to propagate.
To add a third MX record for your domain, use the tool at the top of the page - choose the domain from the drop-down menu, select MX from the "Type" drop-down, then enter the hostname of your third MX record in the "Value" field, e.g. mx3.yournewmx.com, and finally choose the "Priority" (Highest level: 1 Lowest level: 100). Leave the TTL value to the default one and click "Add New" to add your new MX record.
Using Google Apps Mail:
Before changing your MX records, create a Google Apps user account. Once this is done, you will be required to change your domain's MX records with the following:1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM
Here is a step-by-step guide how to do this:
- Replace mx1.supremebox.com with ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM as instructed above and do not forget to update the priority value from "10" to "1"; The TTL should be set to 3600, then click “Change”.
- Replace mx2.supremebox.com with ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM and set the priority to "5", then click “Change”.
- To add another MX record for your domain, use the tool at the top of the page - choose the domain from the drop-down menu, select MX from the "Type" drop-down, then enter ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM in the "Value" field, choose the "Priority" as listed above, leave the TTL value to the default (3600) and finally click "Add New".
- Repeat the procedure described in (3) when adding all the five MX records and you will be all set.
To use the Google Apps custom URL mail.my-best-domain.com to access your emails, here is what needs to be done:
- Create your subdomain mail.my-best-domain.com from the Subdomain Manager section (Site Management > Subdomain Manager) of your hosting Control Panel.
- Go to the Custom DNS Records section and create a CNAME record using the tool at the top: Fill in "mail" in the first field, then select "my-best-domain.com" from the domain drop-down.
- For "Type" choose CNAME, for "Value" enter: ghs.google.com
- Click "Add New" and the CNAME will be created.
Keep in mind that changes may take up to 24 hours to propagate throughout the Internet.